Tuesday, 18 April 2017

What You Will Find Here

Welcome to the first post at The Gaffe Showroom, the home of gaffes, howlers, blunders, bloopers, mistakes and unusual advertisements. Basically, anything unintentionally humorous.

I tend to find most of my material from old newspapers and magazines. And when I say old, the examples at the end of this post were published nearly a century apart.

What I find particularly satisfying is unearthing something unintentionally funny from, say, a hundred years ago and still finding it funny today. Unintentional humour does not date.

There is something that I have been wondering and I hope that you can help. What do you call someone who searches for gaffes, howlers, blunders, bloopers and mistakes? I've found that a comiconomenclaturist is someone who collects humorous names. What would I be called (apart from sad)?

And to finish, here is an old school howler and an even older odd advertisement.

First, the howler from 1940:

In the old days married women put woad on their bodies to keep out the damp and frighten off animals. Nowadays they use cosmetics.

And the odd advertisement from 1844:

Two sisters want washing.

No comments:

Post a Comment